Monday, June 22, 2009

Back on Track

3 years ago my colleague (now,he's my ex-colleague) asked me if I ever ran on the Penang Bridge before and I said never. He then told me about his past runs and how he strived to earn his medal upon achieving the 3 hour mark for his half marathon run. He tried 3 times and the last time, he finally made it through and earned his medal. Those days the officials were very strict in giving of medals to the participants due to the high standards they preserved through the years. However, as of now, any participant can earn that medal even though they passed that 3 hour mark in their half marathons and by doing this greatly pulls the standard of PBR down. Even newbies like myself can earn a medal by running an overdue 3 hours run. Hehe..


So that first marathon started my running 'career' and I stopped running after my 2nd PBR marathon after achieving a 3hours mark for the half marathon. I stopped running entirely after that because I found out that both of my toe nails from each side of my feet broke due to the run. So I had to wait 1 whole year for my toe nails to grow fully or else my feet would look like I'm having leprosy with all those exposed skins..Eee..


Another factor that stopped me from running would be my feet hurts alot after running for quite a long time. This really breaks me down as I still remembered in those days when I had to walk instead of running even though I had much energy and stamina left for the race. So I quit running despite having my friend from church encouraging me to run. We used to train together for runs and now I left him to run by himself...Sounds like Mark deserting Paul and Barnabas in the first missionary journey in the book of Acts..hehe


Then suddenly I decided to trust Alan's advice on getting the right running shoe for my legs since I always find myself suffering from foot ache and blisters after every runs. So I managed to save up some cash to get myself a good running shoes. Went to Lee Hoe with Joshua since he offered to give some counsultation. Tried and ran on Asics Kayano 15, Cumulus 11 and Nimbus 11. (For more information, please go to here). I had a hard time choosing which pair would fit me well since Joshua said that it's not the price of the shoes that determines your performance but it's the compartibility. All of them gave me a 'flying' effect if you know what I mean but I went for Cumulus since it is able to grip my legs tightly when I ran around with it. Kayano and Nimbus was quite loose around the my ankle so I didn't quite like it although both of these pairs are supposedly the best running shoes for year 2008.

To cut the long story short, I'm totally convinced now that a good running shoe really saves a whole lot of trouble and with this new pair of shoes, I'm running consistently now. Now with my new Nike + device plus Ipod to aid my runs, I'm runninggggggggggggggggggg......
(I'm sorry for some of the crap I wrote in this post as I'm feeling dizzy and sick but determined to finish this post..so excuse my nonsense..hehe)

1 comment:

Samuel said...

Have a good rest and get well soon :)