Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chairman Yaks

Last year, Richard came to me and told me that he's leaving for good to KL since his job requires him to be there.Chances of saying no: totally 0%. Which means that there will be a change in the youth leadership since he was our Youth Chairman.What makes it worse was that everything had to be in a hurry because he will be leaving for KL in one month's time! Great! Less time, less prayer and most of all, no appropriate candidate for a chairman post!Seriously, our youth workers weren't prepared for such a thing.



The last commitee meeting came, Richard dropped the bomb and highlighted me to be the successor of Sungai Nibong Gospel Hall/Sungai Ara Gospel Hall's joint Youth Chairman.I was obviously shocked and stunned as I didn't expect that to happen since I expected Andrew to be the Youth Chairman because he's the youth deputy.









It seems that Andrew was assigned to be the advisor instead of chairman so I was elected to be the chairman and Jeff the deputy.I told Richard that I needed time to reconsider such proposal since it was last minute and I needed time to seek for God's approval.Problem was: How do you know this is God's will or not?Even if I pray about it, how can I get the answer?Am I supposed to test God just like how Gideon did in Judges?Or am I supposed to hear some direct voice revelation from God?Or get my confirmation through dreams and visions?



I was in a difficult position because I need to decide quickly as time is short.The youth needed a replacement and it is very important for the youth group to have a leader to head this ministry.I wasn't prepared for such huge responsibility role and every youth was supposed to look at me as a leader now.How can a childish person like me since I still play alot of arcade games/computer games be a youth chairman and lead 30++ young people?I consulted with some of close friends and tried to get some feedback from them.They encouraged me to go if I want to take up that lead and ensured me that I was ready for that role even though I'm not convinced like them.



There's so many things to consider before I take up this role.What if some kid followed my footsteps by starts playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 and starts to ponteng school for it, what if some kid gets lost in a Youth outing to Muka Head or some sort like that, what if the safety of the young people are jeopardized in an event or camp.How would I be able to take these responsible up and face the parents, the elders of the church, and most importantly myself.How am I able to face myself if such cases happens during my leadership.I know that I will be the first one to be in parent's list to be blamed as well as church members if something like that happened.



These kinda title kinda puts you up there and makes you feel proud for a moment and then when trouble comes, I would be the first to be blamed regardless of what happens.When things don't go right, people start to point their fingers at me and starts mocking me behind my back.Such unpopular position with such heavy responsibility at hand and most of all, I don't get the credit for the things that I've done for the youth.Richard told me his experience and that doesn't seem nice at all.



As I was thinking of all the negative thoughts, I realized that I'm putting my own strength and experience for this post.I didn't realized that God put me in this situation to prove how great He is in my life.I began to think of myself, how can I be adequate as a 'Chairman' but honestly, there's nothing different from serving as a normal commitee worker.The title was assigned to me was just a name sake.Everyone was important in the youth work because we are not serving ourselves but God.God has given me this opportunity to lead the youth to honor Him and this is my chance to make that happen.It has been my dream to see this vision come true, to form a generation of youth that have a heart for God.



Then I realized that Richard did what he could to make the youth to be united as one.He did what he was purposed to do and God led him through.God used him to carry up this responsibility for 9 years and indeed He blessed the work.Now, it's time to pass the torch.In the end, I decided to give it a go.I don't know how it will be like but I know that God is always before me.He is always there for me when I needed strength, He is always there for me when I am lack of faith, He is always there for me when I am full of burden and He will carry these burden for me when I cast those burdens to Him.


The Lord is my salvation, and I shall not be moved.Hopefully God is able to use me to prove how great He is in my life.Amen

No comments: