Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Ax Head Floats!!

Last Saturday I was extremely demoralized.First, I heard that most of the YP's won't be following the bus to GLO for the GLO reunion service.At first I had quite a number of them who gave their response to attend that event. However, as the day draws nearer, one by one drop off. I heard some of them had themselves grounded by their parents, some of them have placed their exams to be their ultimate focus in life and some of them just couldn't be interested or bothered.



Well, I don't blame any of them actually because why should I be discouraged by the surroundings when I should have the conviction that comes from within?Nevertheless, being human is always frail. I was telling Justin on how demoralized I was when the numbers of youth dwindles for that event. He knew I was lamenting about it because I did it when he came to pick me up to church.However, I thought to myself that if I don't go then I will open myself to more temptations by staying at home alone. So I told myself that there should be a blessing in disguise if I go one, so I went with some confidence in my heart.



As we traveled to Taiping, I noticed that Uncle Kha Kooi was somewhat disappointed with the youth attendance seeing so many empty seats that was in the bus. I guess he was really hoping that the youth would had come to show support to GLO since GLO was suspended for this year. He would wished that the youth should come as an encouragement to GLO.Well, sometimes we see all our hopes would lead to a dead end even though the motives are right.I begin to see the light of life through the reality that shows around us when we thought that God would certainly bless us when we ask for the right things but that is just a mere expectation which we created in our minds. Where in the Scripture do we see righteous wishes would always end up with fruitful results? If that's always true then the theme of 2 Corinthians would not be dwelling on the attribute of God where He is the God of all comfort for those who clings on Him in times of trials.



Our response should always fall back on Him because in the end, it is only Him who knows what is beyond that rainbow. It is only God who has control of everything so it's best to always depend on Him whether in good times or bad times.



When I was in the church hall listening to various people sharing on the pulpit about GLO, I was thinking to myself whether should I quit my job and enroll myself to be a full time student at GLO. Hahaha..I wished I can do that but I wished I knew about GLO earlier in my life. If I knew about GLO when I am in the age of 17, I would certainly go for full time rather than wasting my time in RBS..Seriously, I can't recall anything I learnt from RBS..It's so blank now even when I think of it.I could remember bible camps sermons even more than what I can think of when I was in RBS! Sien..it's really sien when you find yourself wasting one month in Camerons and learnt nothing significant in life but get yourself full of rashes after that camp. The water there is extremely toxic..I can justify that! Argh..the Sieness..anyway, out of topic..



Then came Mr Ung preaching on a strong message taken from 2 King 6:1-7 which speaks of the floating ax head. I wondered what can he speak on from such that verse. When he started to expound and relate the activities of GLO with the pool of ministries in the world, then it started to make a whole lot of sense.



Firstly, he relate the sons of the prophets cutting down trees with the assembly working through GLO to offer solid discipleship from the Word. And then, it seems as if the sons of the prophets was working together to cut down beams but after a while each of them seems to be disoriented and worked individually without having the similar focus as before. This symbolizes that there was once upon a time where the assemblies had the similar focus together to build up GLO school together to build up disciples for God, rooted in the Word of God and equiped with good works. But as time passes by, GLO school was becoming more and more like the other institutes. The unique identidy of GLO was soon slowly fading away.

Then as it went on, one of them had their ax head fell into the pool of water. That symbolizes
that GLO school identity was becoming like the rest of the other organizations which are available in the pool of bible institutes. It was then GLO tried to emulate what the rest of the bible schools were capable of.It has lost its cutting edge where GLO normally could provide.


He was emphasizing that GLO should offer something that others could not offer. According to him, bible seminaries were inter denominational, RBS are practical but lack of depth and BSF are devotional where fellowship of Christians from all denominations could come together but never touched the doctrines of the Church. It is at this point of time when GLO came to realize that they should come back in one accord and work together to provide something that no other institutes can provide which is the firm teaching of the Word with assembly church practice distinctives.

It was stated that now as GLO picks up its ax head which floats from the pool, and fixes it back into the handle. The handle represents the title/name and the ax head represents the Word of God. The iron is hard so as the teaching of God is hard to swallow and receive but as the story pointed out despite of its hardness of iron, the ax head floats! This is something that needs to pay more attention at.Even though the teaching of the Word is hard to receive but it is presented in a way that it is gentle enough for the students to accept it. It is now time for GLO to take up the ax head and fixes it on its handle where the name should reconcile with its cutting edge.

I was truly blessed with so much spiritual truths in one evening. Thank you Lord for encouraging me in GLO despite of me being discouraged by the surroundings.

1 comment:

RUN WITH THE WAVE said...

Hey there! Come and join us for a BBQ buffet at the beach in Penang this Christmas with watersports activities included! Sign up now! Check out my website at www.runwiththewave.com Thanks! I'm not spamming your blog. Just want to inform you thru the fastest way possible :)