Friday, October 05, 2007

Forever 'loved'?

After discussing on the taboo topic (Death), I've come across another topic that makes the world go round.This object of the topic will always be the most common topic discussed over and over again throughout the ages and loved by many, if not all mankind. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?Are we thinking of the same object now?I think it's not tough to guess that object of discussion is : Money (Mammon)

And more money!




And MORE!!!



Okok enough of money..eh wait, do you think anyone would get sick of money?Very unlikely, except for those multi billionaires that have too much to spare.We are not talking about monopoly notes here but the real thing, hehe and I believe everyone would always be interested in discussing on this topic and will never get bored of them.

When I was still in my schooling age, I have already learn t that money is a very important object that I must possess in order to buy anything, be it a product or a service.I always ask for more monthly allowance as I always finish spending them before the month ends.As I grew older, I was involved in this multi-level marketing that gives me the opportunity to earn around 10k to 20k per month if I do it right (as told by my peer groups). When I was in this, I began to devise plans and starts to call my friends out to start this 'business' with me.

Basically for those who do not know how multi level marketing works, let me briefly explain it here.First you pay a certain amount of capital to start a 'business' or I would call it a virtual counter or shop.To do business, one must possess an outlet/shop to sell their products therefore this makes perfect sense.After setting up a virtual shop, the company would supply the products and all we need to do is to get another partner to join venture in this plan by starting another virtual shop under you.Thus, if you get more partners to join you, the company would reward you handsomely with the commission agreed on.Therefore, your job is to find people, 'convert' them and then train them to 'convert' others.It's a pyramid plan.Those on top will get the most as the ones lower will build their empire around those who are on top.So first come first serve.

When I first started, I called my closest friends and tells them of this incredible plan to earn extra pocket money at a cost.Those time were quite easy as most of us have PTPN loans, so it's the right time to 'INVEST'.So when I got some of my friends joining me, the thoughts of earning 10k-20k per month as a student seems like a reachable dream.

As I was busy planning and 'converting' my friends to invest into this business, suddenly something held me back.I started to think about what I am doing.Whenever I called my friends out for supper, there was an intention behind the invitation.Soon I begin to realized that I have been trying to convert all my long lost buddies into this business without even meeting out for a simple conversation.Every time we met, we just talked about that business and how we can earn more money through it.Where did all our fun and laughter that we used to share and talk about when we meet up?Where did my genuineness of just being a friend/companion gone to?Where did the care and sharing gone to?All these have faded away just because of money.No, Money is not the reason but the Love of Money is.

I was so obsessed about money that I have traded friendship for money.After that, I begin to sense that all my friends are leaving me because of what I have become.A self centered, care-less, lousy friend and a money minded freak, I have become.



When I was considering to quit, 2 thoughts came to me.



1) Matt 6:24



"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."



2) 1 Tim 6:10



"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."



After giving much thought to it, I gave it and decided to not continue in this business.How can I be so fervent in the service of money instead of service to God?I felt so guilty to all of my friends that I've used and to God for letting Him down by serving money instead of Him.The second verse is particularly true to me in that moment of trial where it states that some people have pierced themselves with many griefs.As I look back, I thank God for giving me such realisation before it was too late.



Many people will not love you for standing against them especially when you turn from their viewpoint of money.Most people would not agree with what I've thinking and would be perfectly okay with what I was doing in earning money but most importantly is what God thinks and where your convictions lies.To a millionaire-to-be person, the methods might not matter but what mattered most are the results but to a Christian, to be contented with what is given and live a life that is pleasing to God mattered the most instead of getting himself/herself occupied with earthly treasures.



Well, you may say that it's the opinion that differs in the individuals but for me, I would just simply say this: Are you serving God or are you serving money?All our actions are inclined to what we think so it's just either God or money.There is no middle ground.As for now, I thank God for bringing me back to Him instead of getting myself occupied with monetary happiness.



So what is your priority in life?Money or God?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

money